Effective 28 May 2021
TIB Open Publishing is an online platform for the publication of open-access journals and conference publications operated by the Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB), Welfengarten 1B, 30167 Hannover, Germany (hereinafter "TIB").
§ 1 Scope of application
§ 2 Registration and admission
- Authors, reviewers, editors, and assistants must register with TIB Open Publishing, providing the necessary personal data, in order to perform their duties. Readers can register with TIB Open Publishing in order to be informed about current publications of a journal or a conference. Editorial roles (e.g. Journal Editor, Section Editor, Copyeditor, Layout Editor, Proofreader, or Journal Manager) can only be assigned by the Journal Manager/Journal Editor or the Site Administrator (TIB). Users who are designated for these roles must register as an author with the respective journal/conference publication in order to be assigned this role.
- The registration is completed with the transmission of the password (admission). Admission establishes a user relationship between the TIB and the registered users.
- The user relationship may be terminated at any time and without notice by submitting a declaration in writing to TIB. In the event of termination, the user account on TIB Open Publishing will be deactivated and personal data of the user profile deleted in accordance with § 7 within one month of receipt of the declaration.
§ 3 Information for authors, assistants, and readers
- Authors can log in and submit manuscripts directly via the journal/conference publication website on TIB Open Publishing. They must agree to the publication contract and will be asked to upload the manuscript and accompanying material and provide metadata and indexing information. Authors can follow the review and editing process and participate in editing and proofreading of submissions accepted for publication.
- Assistants (Copyeditor, Layout Editor, Proofreader) register as authors and are given access to the corresponding stage in the editorial process after the role has been assigned by the journal manager. Their task is to proofread, format, and produce the accepted publications.
- Readers can register with TIB Open Publishing to be informed about current publications of a journal or conference. However, the publications can be used without registration within the framework of the stated open-access licenses.
§ 4 Rights and obligations of Journal Managers
- Journal Managers register with TIB Open Publishing as authors for a specific journal. The role in the editorial process is assigned by the Site Administrator (TIB) or Journal Manager.
- The Journal Manager is responsible for setting up and maintaining the website for the journal or conference publication, configuring the system options, and managing the user accounts of the respective journal or conference publication. The creation of user accounts without the explicit consent of the users concerned is not permitted.
- Journal managers agree to the journal policies of the respective conference publication or journal. This comprises that they
- Consider all manuscripts submitted without bias and review each manuscript without regard to gender, religious affiliation, ethnic origin, citizenship, or political philosophy of the authors.
- Avoid any actual or perceived conflict of interest, e.g., e.g. they should not edit manuscripts to which they have contributed themselves or through collaborators.
- Respect the intellectual independence of the authors.
- Treat as confidential all confidential and non-public information of which they become aware during peer review.
- Handle complaints based on COPE guidelines.
§ 5 Rights and obligations of Journal Editors and Section Editors
- Editors register with TIB Open Publishing as authors for a specific journal or conference publication. The role in the editorial process is assigned by the Journal Manager.
- Editors are responsible for managing submitted manuscripts throughout the editorial process. This includes:
- Rejecting unsuitable manuscripts
- Screening the manuscript using Crossref's plagiarism assessment software (Similarity Check).
- The initiation and monitoring of the review process
- The search for reviewers
- Reviewing the reviewer reports
- Possibly requesting changes from the authors
- Notification of rejection or acceptance of a publication to authors
§ 6 Rights and obligations of Reviewers
- Reviewers are selected by the Journal Editor or Section Editor and register with TIB Open Publishing as reviewers or authors for a specific journal. The role in the editorial process is assigned to them by the Journal Editor or Section Editor, as appropriate. Reviewers then have access to the corresponding level in the editorial process. Manuscripts are assigned to reviewers for review by the Journal Editor or Section Editor.
- Reviewers assess the scientific quality of the manuscripts. Reviews can be submitted to TIB Open Publishing with attachments after registration via the journal's website.
- Reviewers agree to the journal policies, § 4 No. 3 applies.
§ 7 Deletion of user accounts and personal data
If the user relationship ends, user accounts will be deactivated immediately. The stored personal data will be deleted in accordance with the following provisions as far as possible:
- Authors: Personal data of authors are mandatory for review and publication and must be traceable in the long term. By agreeing to the publication contract when submitting a manuscript, authors agree to the storage of their data. The personal data of authors will be stored for the duration of the publication contract.
- Personal data of assistants (Copyeditors, Layout Editors, Proofreaders) will be deleted within one month upon request.
- Readers: Personal data of readers will be deleted within one month upon request.
§ 8 Rights and obligations of the TIB
- The TIB is entitled to terminate its service at any time. If the service is discontinued, the TIB is obliged to ensure the provision of publications and long-term archiving by other TIB services or services of other organizations.
§ 9 Data protection
If users obtain access to and knowledge of personal data of other users in the course of the editorial process, they are obliged to maintain confidentiality. When processing personal data, the provisions of the General Data Protection Regulation and the Lower Saxony Data Protection Act must be observed. This means in particular that
- a transfer of personal data to third parties (persons or institutions outside the editorial process or not directly involved) is not permitted,
- personal data that can be viewed in TIB Open Publishing may only be processed within the scope of the author's own tasks, and
- third parties may only be commissioned with the provision of services in which personal data of users is processed upon conclusion of a contract for the processing of such data which meets the statutory requirements.
§ 10 Limitations of liability
The TIB accepts no liability that the platform and its contents are always available uninterrupted, unchanged and complete, or that they are up-to-date and free of errors of an editorial or technical nature. No liability is assumed for damages resulting from reliance on the contents of the platform or its use.
In principle, TIB is only liable for damage caused intentionally or by gross negligence. In the event of injury to life, body, or health, statutory provisions shall apply.
Liability for damages resulting from unauthorized use of password-protected logins by third parties is not assumed.
Insofar as liability is limited or excluded, this shall also apply to the benefit of TIB's executives, representatives and vicarious agents.
§ 11 Miscellaneous
- The place of jurisdiction shall be Hannover.
- In the event of disputes, the TIB shall endeavor to reach an amicable settlement.